SCREEN-L Archives

March 1998, Week 5

Date:
Sun, 29 Mar 1998 01:30:12 -0800
Wednesday  April 15
I, Object:
Videoworks by Chris Robbins   7:30
including the World Premiere of Amidst the White Noise... My Fifth
Amendment Privilege

Artist in-person

Bay Area-based, Chris Robbins produces electronic art addressing the
culpability of the media in the construction of cultural identity, but with
a twist. Beginning with that strident gem "Perfect Leader" (with Max Almy,
1983), a swift analysis of not just the media marketing of candidates, but
their manufacture as well, Robbins has applied a lush aesthetic to her
pithy critiques. "Prime Object" (1987) looks at the transformation of an
art object into a suitable commodity while "Leaves Little to be Desired"
(1988-89) attributes to that same transformation a number of personal
disorders, such as alienation and sexual desire. "I.D." (1991-95) draws on
"fictions" gleaned from advertising and other cultural narratives to
question the fixed nature of identity. Robbins' newest work, "My Fifth
Amendment Privilege" (27:30 mins), is an "experimental docudrama"
critiquing the characteristics of race as it circulates through the media.
Linking the broadcast of Roots to the equally popular televised pursuit of
O.J. Simpson, a trajectory is traced invisible in its ironic whiteness.
Robbins will also exhibit several new projects employing WWW and
interactive technology, including the web-based "(Death) A Vous de Jouer +
(death) your move."

Ticket Prices: general admission, $6, with discounts for students, seniors,
disabled and children.

The Pacific Film Archive is located at 2625 Durant Avenue, Berkeley, one
block east of  Telegraph Avenue. For more information, please call:
510/642-1412.

Steve Seid
Video Curator
Pacific Film Archive
2625 Durant Avenue
Berkeley, CA  94720
510/642-5253

Christiane Robbins
Assistant Professor
Department of Telecommunications, Film and New Media
TEL:  619.594.8099