SCREEN-L Archives

March 1998, Week 3

From:
"Lisa R. Barry" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Mar 1998 15:35:11 -0500
Bethany Ogdon asked
>Can anybody direct me to an article that discusses
>this?  I can't remember when exactly the writer's strike occurred, but
>am thinking maybe shows like The People's Court are more directly linked
>to the strike than shows like Cops and America's Most Wanted.

I can't direct you to any articles, but I remember back when I was in
Junior High/High School, the shows REAL PEOPLE and THAT'S INCREDIBLE (I
think that was the name-with John Davidson) that focused on real people and
the things they do.  I know my high school marching band was filmed for
REAL PEOPLE because we were the only marching band in the country to march
on skis.  That would have been in the late 1970s and early 1980s, so that
would be just prior to the Reagan era.  I wonder, then, why "reality tv" is
associated with the Reagan era?  Just some thoughts.

Lisa :-)

=======================================
"Many author-mothers conclude that maternity has enabled them to reject
male standards of writing . . . [M]any female authors come to see their
creation in human reproductive terms, reclaiming for women a metaphor long
appropriated by men."
                                              --Lucy Fischer
Lisa R. Barry
Ph.D. Candidate