SCREEN-L Archives

March 1998, Week 3

From:
David Skreiner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Mar 1998 00:17:52 +0100
Hi,

John Eno wrote:

> [snip]          I'm really curious as to what other films have been
> made that use the idea of the main character (and therefore the
> audience) not know who he/she is or whether or not events occurring in
> "reality" (ie, the narrative of the film) are actually happening to them
> or are symptoms of insanity, brainwashing, etc. [snip]

The film version of William Burrough's strange novel "NAKED LUNCH"
(David Cronenberg, late 80s, I think) is a classic in that respect. Drug
addict / author takes drugs and gets from his/our relatively sane world to
that other one, the one with the huge bugs that sell him drugs that'll send
him back to the first ('normal') reality... found the plot rather difficult
to follow after that *grin*

Peter Jackson's "HEAVENLY CREATURES" comes to  mind, but
I'm nost sure that's what you're looking for... girls that entangle them-
selves in a pseudo-mediaeval fantasy, but that's more like losing
touch with reality than questioning the 'truth' of one's experiences.

(I'm not sure if you could count some of the late-60s Cheech&Chong
comedies, too, as far as 'losing it' is concerned *grin*... )

Clinical schizophrenia is at the center of "I Never Promised You
A Rose Garden"; I know the novel but I'm quite sure a film has been
made out of it. It's the story of a girl battling against schizophrenia.

David Skreiner