SCREEN-L Archives

March 1998, Week 3

From:
Bethany Ogdon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 17 Mar 1998 21:18:36 +0000
The origins of reality television are commony associated with Reagan-era
deregulation (Murdoch's acquisition of independent tv stations with
which to launch his Fox network, and his subsequent need to produce
cheap programs to offset debt). However, I have a dim memory of having
read something that linked the emergence of reality programs to the
writer's strike. Can anybody direct me to an article that discusses
this? I can't remember when exactly the writer's strike occurred, but
am thinking maybe shows like The People's Court are more directly linked
to the strike than shows like Cops and America's Most Wanted.

Bethany Ogdon