SCREEN-L Archives

March 1998, Week 1

From:
Dana Polan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Mar 1998 17:06:15 -0800
Dear Colleagues,
        I would love any suggestions for a project I am working on on the early
days of film study in the US.
Any suggestions of bibliograpy (primary and secondary works) as well as
research leads would be appreciated.

My concern is with the ways in which film begins to get taught in the
university.  I have looked at Lounsbury's book on early film criticism and
at Koszarski's pages on cinema study in his *Evening's Entertainment*.

Thus far, I have isolated several schools that offer film courses early on:

1.  Columbia--where Frances Patterson and Victor Freeburg teach photoplay
courses in the teens;

2.  USC--which teaches an industry course in the late 20s and tries to
institute a degree program in the 30s;

3.  Stanford--which offers a photoplay course (taught by psychologist Paul
J. Farnsworth) in the late 20s/early 30s;

4.  Iowa State--which offers a photoplay course in the late 20s/early 30s.

Do people have any material on these courses (especially, secondary studies
of the figures involved)?  Do you know of other film courses elsewhere, up
through the 30s?  I am also interested in alternatives to university
study--for example, the New York Institute of Photography, a correspondance
school.

Any ideas that people have would be greatly appreciated!!  I am also
sending this message to the h-film and film-philosophy bulletin boards.

Thanks, everyone!!!!!

--Dana Polan