SCREEN-L Archives

March 1998, Week 1

From:
Scott Hutchins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Mar 1998 19:48:24 -0500
There's Angelica Ortiz in Mexico.  She directed the filmed play _Mago de
Oz Cuento de Frank Baum_ (1985), and produced films in the late seventies.
She has probably worked steadily, but I just don't know about it.

Another Baum film director is Tunc Basaran of Turkey.  I have found next
to nothing on Turkish film unless it had to do with Yilmaz Guney, though I
know Basaran has won some awards for some more recent films, but I only
know of four other titles.  I learned of all of them through the Internet,
and added them all to the IMDb.  I don't think Basaran is female, so
ignore the heading.  I can get undubbed, unsubtitles Turkish films cheaply
and easily, but information is nowhere to be found.  His Oz film is
_Aysecik ve Sihirli ve Sihirli Cuceler Ruyalar Ulkesinde_, which is the
finest literary adaptation of Baum's work.  Victor Fleming's film sucks
extremely badly (to put it harshly and childishly) as a literary
adaptation.  Basaran's version suffers mainly through bad costumes and the
state of Turkish sound technology.

Scott

P.S.: No, I do not understand Turkish, so don't ask me for help.  I wish I
did.