SCREEN-L Archives

March 1998, Week 1

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Mar 1998 09:33:21 -0600
On Fri, 27 Feb 1998 14:26:12 -0500 "Lisa R. Barry" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I am attempting to compile a list of gay/lesbian/bisexual television
>characters from tv series. It doesn't matter whether the series was a
>sit-com, drama, or whatever. I am simply wanting a list for a class I am

Don't forget soap operas, which have been incorporating gay/lesbian
characters since the early 1980s.

One of the earliest was Lynn Carson (played by Donna Pescow in 1983) on All
My Children. She was a child psychologist and the series used her to
explain what a lesbian was. I am not kidding. She would lecture the other
characters about how normal lesbians were.

As AIDS worked its way into soaps as a disease-of-the-moment it was
initially not presented through gay characters. As I recall, there was an
All My Children character who contracted it through drug use. Perhaps the
producers/writers felt this was a "safe" way to deal with the topic.
Subsequently, however, gays with AIDS have appeared. I'm having trouble
remembering the details, but As the World Turns had one such character in
the late '80s/early '90s.

Hope that helps,

----
Jeremy Butler
Associate Professor
ScreenSite http://www.tcf.ua.edu/ScreenSite
Telecommunication & Film/University of Alabama/Tuscaloosa