SCREEN-L Archives

February 1998, Week 4

From:
Scott Hutchins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 1998 13:50:02 -0500
On Sun, 22 Feb 1998, Abe-Nornes wrote:

> I must of missed the earlier discussion that led to this post. What is this
> list and what are the following shows doing on it? (I study Japanese
> cinema, and have never heard of these).

These are anime programs.  The first was made for television and was
reported to exist by filmmaker Willard Carroll.

> Ozu no Mahotsukai (DAX, TBS (Tokyo Broadcasting System), WTV, 1970)
> Ozu no Mahotsukai (Fumihiko Takayama, 1982--not dubbed)

This second one is also an anime.  The American version was directed by
John Danylkiw and features the voice of Aileen Quinn, Lorne Greene, John
Stocker, Billy Van, Elizabeth Hanna, and Wendy Thatcher.  It is available
from Paramount, in either the SP or EP mode, and they make it very
difficult to discern which is which.  I would like to see this in its
uncut Japanese version, partly because the U.S. version's dialogue (no
credited screenwriter) is so bad.  The original script was by Akira
Miyazaki (and possibly Yoshimitsu Banno), and it was produced by
Yoshimitsu Banno and Katsumi Ueno, with music by Jo Hisaishi and Yuichiro
Oda.  Banno is the director of _Birth of the Japanese Islands_ (1970,
with a score by Akira Ifukube) and _Gojira tai Hedora_/_Godzilla vs. the
Smog Monster_, (1971).  He also co-wrote Toshio Masuda's _Nosutoradamusu
no Daiyogen_/_The Last Days of Planet Earth_, a brilliant film which sadly
suffers not only severe cuts and EXTREMELY bad dubbing, but also has
fadeouts for commercials in its video release, also from Paramount.

Scott

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/screensite