SCREEN-L Archives

February 1998, Week 4

From:
Yves Lever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 1998 16:54:06 -0500
>A colleague is collecting American movies in which one or more characters
>speak French on screen.  He is especially interested in films that give

You shoul read the book Hollywood's Canada, the Americanization of Our
National Image, by Pierre Berton, written in 1975. Lot of examples for
French Canada.

In Slap-Shot, with Paul Newman starring, somme of the hockey players are
French Canadians. Their words are vey badly negative.

In Close encounter of... by Spielberg, Francois Truffaut, playing the
character of a French scientist, says a few word in french, if I remember
well.

Yves Lever

Vous avez le gout de lire quelques pages de nouvelles concernant la
reflexion au sujet du cinema quebecois, de references historiques, de
critiques ou d'analyses de films, de la facon dont s'enseigne le cinema au
Quebec? Venez faire un tour a ma modeste page Web:
http://www.cam.org/~lever/Lever.html

University of Alabama.