SCREEN-L Archives

February 1998, Week 3

From:
Laurence Jarvik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 1998 11:25:23 -0500
I don't think the criticism of the "media conglomerate" list is unfair at
all. Four pages of Pat Aufderheide's writings is not very much. Indeed, it
can be argued that because of its upscale and educated demographic, public
broadcasting has a disproportionately greater influence on American
intellectual and cultural life than any other broadcasting organization.
Which is why it is important to note that PBS is part of a bigger
conglomerate than any single business because it is connected to the U.S.
government and other entities in a parallel way to that in which a cable
channel is tied to its investors.
Let's connect the dots for PBS and NPR to the educational institutions and
governmental entities with which it is connected in the way that one is
connecting broadcasting, the record business, magazine publishing,
textbooks, databases, forestry, trucking, real estate, etc. for the other
media conglomerates such as Time Warner. And funders of PBS programming
include not only corporations but departments of the US government,
including the multi-billion dollar National Science Foundation, Department
of Education, HHS, etc. And State and Local governments. And of course the
U.S. Congress, which has a budget vastly larger than that of Time-Warner --
or Mobil Corporation, for that matter. Not to mention the local stations.
For example: WGBH is located on the campus of Harvard University, which
last time I checked had an endowment of over $6 billion. That's one station
at one campus -- admittedly the largest, but there are over 300 PBS
stations and some 600 public radio stations at colleges, universities,
school districts, etc. The University of Texas houses a public tv station
in Austion, etc. James Ledbetter has a nice diagram in "Made Possible
By..."
I believe Aufderheide merely critcizes public broadcsting ties to
corporations and timidity in the face of Republicans and unlike Ledbetter
does not fundamentally describe the problem of influence by, say, funders
like the Ford Foundation (assets over $7 billion last time I checked), the
Rockefeller Foundation and the MacArthur Foundation.
I stick to my claim of the blind spot on the reading list.
Former CBS News president Richard Salant RESIGNED from the NPR board to
protest underwriting for content as unethical (still going on today by such
entities as the National Science Foundation by the way) -- a point also
made by Ledbetter, to his credit, in his new book "Made Possible By..."
 (Curiously there is no mention of Ledbetter in Dr. McAllister's posting
and one has to ask: Why not? Was it fair to omit part the reference?)
There was a very good front page article in the NY Times just last week
exposing huge salaries totalling the $500,000 range at Minnesota Public
Radio and its catalog subsidiary, Rivertown Trading Company -- which
grosses about $200 million a year.
Or does only some sort of big money influence on broadcasting deserve study
-- and not others?
I would stand by my additions to the list and hope that others might
suggest some more free-market readings. Some would argue that the
government is the problem, not the solution, for media conglomerates,
through the manner FCC regulation is used to reward political friends and
punish opponents.
 Where are the books arguing for de-regulation such as Jonathan Emord's
work on the deleterious effect of broadcasting regulation on the First
Amendment? Etc. The Cato Institute in Washington and the Pacific Research
Institute in San Francisco can provide references to interested parties. Of
course, my own books, including the new paperback edition of "PBS: Behind
the Screen", are carried by Amazon.com.
Yours sincerely,
Laurence Jarvik

Laurence Jarvik