SCREEN-L Archives

February 1998, Week 2

From:
Brigham Narins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Feb 1998 09:03:49 -0500
Some one named Cynthia Bussiere wrote about the films traveling with the
National Film Registry Tour:

"I know that the films selected for the tour are, from an academic
standpoint, typical, not-so-exciting, lower division stuff."

According to the list she provides, this stuff includes "Sunrise," "Within
Our Gates," "Safety Last," "Chinatown," "Touch of Evil," and "Meshes of the
Afternoon." In order to make a statement like this, Ms. Bussiere must be
unfamiliar not only with these films but with the people who study them.
It's not at all clear why she bothered to write her (long) posting in the
first place, given her low regard for all concerned. I don't care what she
thinks about film academics, and I don't care what she thinks about the
films. I protest only because I suffer from a condition whereby I
experience the embarrassment others should feel when they make fools of
themselves--and I don't usually expect Screen-L to exacerbate my condition.

Respectfully,
Brigham Narins