SCREEN-L Archives

January 1998, Week 4

From:
"J. Emmett Winn" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jan 1998 11:55:41 -0600
Bordwell and Thompson's FILM ART: An Introduction (5th edition) has a very
helpful chapter on the aesthetic dimensions of editing.  It's chapter
Eight/ The Realtion of Shot to Shot: Editing (pp. 270-310).  The sections
included are:
What Editing Is, Dimensions of Film Editing, Continuity Editing, &
Alternatives to Continuity Editing.  This may be of some help.
Cheers
Emmett

At 05:21 PM 1/23/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Greetings--
>
>I was seeking a recommendation for a text(book).  I teach a class in video
>(field) production. In this class students are expected to do some
>editing.  Can you recommend a book that explains for beginners the history
>and fundamental principles of editing (in film and/or video) as developed
>in Hollywood? I am not looking for books that explain technical dimensions
>(i.e. equipment), but a book that explains the aesthetic dimensions of
>editing.  Any recommendation whatsoever is greatly appreciated.  Thanks
>
>Mehdi Semati
>Michigan Technological University
>email [log in to unmask]
>
>----
>To sign off SCREEN-L, e-mail [log in to unmask] and put SIGNOFF SCREEN-L
>in the message.  Problems?  Contact [log in to unmask]

J. Emmett Winn
Film Studies Instructor
Department of Communication
217 Tichenor Hall