SCREEN-L Archives

December 1997, Week 2

From:
EfanaProd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Dec 1997 16:54:14 EST
I think you're talking about "artisitic license" here. I too have struggled
with the concept of "artistic license" in my documentaries. It simply came
down to reminding myself that the role of an artist, whether they are working
in film or some other medium, is to re-present or communicate an idea to their
intended audience. I've found that the score chosen for the documentary, or
the lack thereof, can greatly enhance the perception of the films subject
matter.

Silent film audiences did not experience a truly silent film. Many films often
had an orchestra to accompany the picture. This was done live but very few
recordings were done of this live, orchestrated musical accompaniment. When
home video tapes became so popular many prodcos who owned the rights to these
works did not release them as purely silent films. They included a music track
to accompany the visuals. There are exceptions of course, "nos feratu" being
one of these exceptions where there are copies with and without the music
track.

Of course, this is only my opinion - take it or leave it - but, I strongly
believe that you should utilize any tools at you disposal to communicate your
subject in its truest light. Remember, you are trying to produce the strongest
project possible, so use anything you can to do this.

That's the way I see it.

Shawn Flynn