SCREEN-L Archives

November 1997, Week 4

From:
"Robert D. Levy" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert D. Levy
Date:
Sun, 23 Nov 1997 05:16:15 -0800
I am beginning a study of postwar filmic representations of the Wehrmacht
(German Army--Nazi-era) in German films.  There are several studies that
have analyzed postwar memories of the Wehrmacht (Bartov, Messerschmidt, et
al), and I have found several works reviewing images of war, although
mostly WWI (Fussell, Eksteins, et al ). What I would like to combine are
these ideas of "rehabilitating" the Wehrmacht vis-a-vis the Bundeswehr
(postwar W German Army--and post-[re]unification), and popular conceptions
or memories of the Wehrmacht among postwar Germany or abroad.

What I'm looking for are suggestions for works that do for WWII what has
been done for WWI (Fussell, etc.)--particularly with a German slant;  and
any suggestions for how the Wehrmacht (or any army) has been viewed
through film.

Also, a question:  as a medium exploited by the Nazis, postwar German
"war" films seem highly ironic and problematic.  Other than the
nationalistic or jingoistic functions of "war" films, does this genre
serve other functions in society -- excluding "anti-war" films (for
example such US films as Platoon, The Deer Hunter, etc., and German films
such as, the recent Stalingrad...which may or may not be an "anti-war"
film?)

If you would like to respond to me off the list, my email address is:

Thank you,

//rob levy//
Robert D. Levy