SCREEN-L Archives

November 1997, Week 4

From:
Megan Mullen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 1997 15:26:02 -0500
I'd like to read some thoughts on what people liked about The Ice Storm
generally.  The reason for the 1973 setting seems unclear to me -- other
than to provide a different backdrop for a fairly familiar story of
alientation and familial dysfunction.  Political issues of the time seem to
have been collapsed into decorative but fairly meaningless props and sound
bites.  It's not that I didn't enjoy _watching_ the movie, but I'd like to
know what other people found particularly insightful about it.
Megan

University of Alabama.