SCREEN-L Archives

November 1997, Week 1

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Nov 1997 08:57:52 -0600
On Fri, 31 Oct 1997 11:32:50 -0800 Karen Orr Vered <[log in to unmask]> said:

>I am told there was an article in Cinema Journal by Gaines and Staiger on
>copyright and fair use of images/clips.  My search yields no such results.
>If anyone has the proper reference for an article on copyright appearing
>in CJ, please send it to me.

Karen, you're probably looking for a piece by Kristin Thompson (who, of
course, has published *hundreds* of frame enlargements in FILM ART) that
appeared in CJ--a report of an SCS committee looking into fair use.

Kristin Thompson, "Report of the Ad Hoc Committee of the Society for Cinema
Studies, 'Fair Use Publication of Film Stills,'" CINEMA JOURNAL 32:2
(Winter 1993):  3-20.

Thompson advocates free, unrestricted use of frame enlargements in academic
publications.  She considers the "fair use" issue, but goes into other
aspects of stills publication, too.

Quite interesting reading for anyone thinking of including frame
enlargements (not publicity stills) or video captures in print or
electronic publications.

Regards,

----
Jeremy Butler
Associate Professor
ScreenSite http://www.tcf.ua.edu/ScreenSite
Telecommunication & Film/University of Alabama/Tuscaloosa

University of Alabama.