SCREEN-L Archives

October 1997, Week 4

From:
Peter Hughes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Oct 1997 14:15:29 +0100
Hi everyone,

I have a student who is researching a Masters thesis at present who is
having considerable difficulty with understanding the conventions and
expectations of academic work in the Western philosophic tradition, as
she comes from a completely different cultural background. Much of this
is no doubt due to my weaknesses in explaining to her some of the
assumptions which I take to underly academic work in the Humanities in
the West.

Granted that many of these assumptions themselves have been increasingly
questioned, indeed challenged, by recent philosophic debates in the West,
I am still seeking to find a way of introducing her to what I take to be
central tenets such as the value of some degree of critical enquiry, and
of testing assumptions and opinions against a range of evidence.

My questions are these:

1. Can anyone suggest a clear statement of what they think they are
fundamental values and expectations in western humanities academic work?

2. How have people sought to raise such values for debate with students
from a different cultural background?

3. What do people take to be meant by the term 'critical enquiry',
especially when allied to the term 'detached'?

Thank you

Peter Hughes

Department of Media Studies  La Trobe University  Bundoora VIC 3083
ph: +61 3 9479 3065 (w),  fax: +61 3 9479 3638 (w)
http://www.latrobe.edu.au/www/artmedia/MediaHome.html

Screening the past.
An international, refereed, electronic journal of visual media and
history:
http://www.latrobe.edu.au/www/screeningthepast

Visit the site of Experimenta Media Arts:
http://www.peg.apc.org/~experimenta/