SCREEN-L Archives

October 1997, Week 1

From:
Susan Vaill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Oct 1997 20:47:49 -0000
I wrote a paper as a senior in college a few years ago in a similar class
directly comparing the portrayal of race, class and gender by the
directors of Daughters of the Dust and The Color Purple, (Julie Dash ans
Steven Spielberg). It was extremely eye-opening to watch these films next
to each other. I became very critical of Speilberg's adaptation of Color
Purple, and I will be very interested to see his upcoming film Amistad,
about a revolt on a slave ship.

Julie Dash's earlier film ILLUSIONS is also supposed to be quite good,
about a black woman who passes for white. I've also heard goord things
about Darnell Martin's "I Like It Like That" (about a young black woman
with a Puerto Rican husband in NYC), and also "Just Another Girl on the
IRT" about a poor, teenage, streetsmart black girl trying to stay out of
trouble.

Also! Girls Town, about 4 very different girls (mixed races and classes)
in their senior year, suddenly coping when one commits suicide after a
date rape. A very intense, powerful film.

On the subject, perhaps also Kiss of the Spider Woman, the new film Fire
(about 2 unhappy wives who come together in India).

Just some thoughts...

Susan Vaill

University of Alabama.