SCREEN-L Archives

September 1997, Week 4

From:
Nick Chapman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Sep 1997 14:36:10 -0800
At 9:55 PM -0500 8/19/97, plath3 wrote:
>The recently released "Conspiracy Theory" was preceeded by a novel based
>on the film, which if not a first, is at least a recent development.
>Previously, the novel based on the film followed it.

Not sure how recent this really is.  When the original STAR WARS first came
out, I read a pre-publication copy of the novel based on the movie BEFORE
the opening of the movie.  In general, STAR WARS seems to represent if not
the origin of many of the current film-commodity marketing practices then
certainly a watershed moment in which a qualitative and quantitative shift
in movie marketing began.

   Nick Chapman [log in to unmask]   http://www.umich.edu/~nwc
   Program in American Culture, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor MI
48109-1027      USA

   There can, of course, be no apolitical scholarship.  -- Chandra Talpade
Mohanty

http://www.sa.ua.edu/screensite