SCREEN-L Archives

August 1997, Week 5

Date:
Fri, 29 Aug 1997 13:45:25 -0400
On Tue, 26 Aug 1997, plath3 wrote:

> My (limited) understanding is that the auteur theory holds that films can
> best be understood through a knowledge of their authors' views and
> techniques, assuming the author is an "auteur". In this view, one might
> look at a narrative story (say Rebecca), and examine the auteur's methods
> of realizing it, methods which often present a richer or different
> subtextual story which represents the auteur's stamp.

my observation of auteurism is that the director is the greatest influence
on a film and has his own personal characteristic and idiosyncratic stamp
on a work as any other artist, writer, etc. would (the opposing view being
that most other artists tend to do all of their own work by themselves,
without the aid or hindrance of 100+ co-workers as directors have). if i
can look at a movie and tell fairly quickly who the director was, then i
would say he is an auteur - some that come to mind are scorsese, godard,
welles, woody allen, keaton, chaplin, hawks, nicholas ray, ford, capra,
kurosawa, kieslowski, antonioni,....

-myron

University of Alabama.