SCREEN-L Archives

August 1997, Week 5

From:
Chris Worsnop <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Aug 1997 11:54:04 -0400
Last night  I watched a video my daughter brought home of Braveheart in
"Ransom".

I don't think my analysis of it is outstanding in any way, but I thought I'd
offer it as grist for the thread in Screen-l on perversion in films.

It's a story that tells how superior the white male entrepreneur is to all
other forms of creation, especially women, whose judgement is shown to be
soft at the core - based upon emotion instead of a solid understanding of
how money works in society; and far better than Black FBI agents who are
wrong in their judgements, and just plain don't have the right stuff.

The bad guy in the film, by the way, is a crooked cop, so between him and
the FBI agent the film trashes every authority except the good old
self-reliant rich man.

I sort of think this might qualify as a perverted view of the world. ;-}

Cheers

Chris

Chris M. Worsnop
Consultant, speaker, workshop leader, writer
media education, assessment, writing

Homepage: <http://www.screen.com/mnet/eng/speakers/cw/worsnop.htm>

2400 Dundas Street West Email: <[log in to unmask]>
Unit 6, Suite 107 Phone: (905) 823-0875
Mississauga
Ontario, Canada
L5K 2R8

"Archeologists will one day discover that the ads of our time are the
richest and most faithful daily reflections that any society ever made of
its entire range of activities." Marchall McLuhan

University of Alabama.