SCREEN-L Archives

August 1997, Week 3

From:
Ulf Dalquist <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Aug 1997 09:10:54 +0200
jennifer evans wrote:

>To respond back to Chris Worsnop on the matter of seeing a child flip
>out after watching a violent  TV show.  That may be true Chris but the
>children you have seen may have a little more stability in their
>families and aren t given the right and wrongs of what is seen on TV
>this day and age.  Kids respond differently at home than they do at
>school.
>
>Also in your response about re-enacting what you watched on the cowboy
>shows well when you did this did you pretend to shoot the bad guys well
>if so I hate to tell you but you did do something violent.

Pardon me, but how could *pretending* to shoot someone be something violent?
Following this logic, I'm sexually abusing someone if having dirty
thoughts, Bret Easton Ellis would be on trial for murder and Vladimir
Nabokov for child abuse. 'Violence' on film is *not* 'violence' at all, it
is a fictitious representation of actions interpreted as violence.

Ulf

Ulf Dalquist                  Phone:  +46 46 2229572
Dept. of Sociology              Fax:    +46 46 2224794
Box 114 221 00 Lund SWEDEN      E-mail: [log in to unmask]
             http://www.soc.lu.se/~socuda/
"Only sick music makes money today." - Friedrich Nietzsche, 1888

University of Alabama.