SCREEN-L Archives

August 1997, Week 1

From:
Dave Trautman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Aug 1997 09:45:07 -0600
Ulf Dalquist:
>'Why is there such a fuzz about media violence when we know it's
>really a marginal factor compared to social factors as class, poverty,
>parent's education, alcohol and drug abuse, criminality and so on.

There it is, and thank you Ulf, once again.

All the studies (and I'm in possession of some and have access to all) end with the admission that for every "ill effect" they can identify the mitigation of every one of those effects is simple, straight forward involvement of parents and peers.  Every study.  Read just one.

Ulf rightly points to the bigger and more important "social" question which would clarify for the rest of us why parents and our "social structure" wish for fervently to abdicate their responsibilities for these violent "effects" by pointing their accusing finger at the wicked witches of media.

There was violence in society before television or cartoons, what did people do about it then?
They addressed the problems of abuse, education, poverty, and civil rights.  Personal (and poorly informed) interpretations of observed behavior in children leads directly to misguided conclusions such as have been expressed here before.  This is only a serious problem when those misunderstood observations form the basis of public policy and become the campaign planks of exploitive opportunists.

The reflection of life which is filmmaking is rich with stories addressing the concerns of poverty, addiction, abuse, and education.  Childrens' reactions to these areas of content are as valid as the minority percentage of violent portrayals termed "action film".

My own child's reactions to cartoon and action "entertainment" is similar to those described by Jennifer Taylor.  What I choose to do in response to those behaviors is what defines me as parent.  I know what my responsibilities are with respect to the effects of society on my child, in education, in socialization, and in entertainment.  My child's own constructions of entertainment regularly (but not often enough for me) show better storytelling, better creativity, and better plot resolution than the artificial forms projected on screen.  Ulf is right that unless a person is trained to see the effects they're not qualified to draw far reaching conclusions.  You and I are only qualified to respond as a parent in whatever way we see fit.

Thanks for allowing this 'rant' to be distributed.

Dave Trautman
Academic Technologies for Learning
University of Alberta
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

"When I examine myself and my methods of thought, I come to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more to me than any talent for abstract, positive thinking."
        ‹ Albert Einstein

http://www.sa.ua.edu/screensite