SCREEN-L Archives

August 1997, Week 1

From:
"V. T. Higgs" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 1997 13:12:44 +0000

To clear up any misunderstandings I absolutely believe that instructors owe
their students many things.  Including a certain level of instruction,
professionalism, general respect and time.  What I was refering to in terms of
the instructor not "owing"  his students was that I felt it was clear he was
already planning on addressing these issues through the investigations of his
proposed topics and course outline.  In teaching a contemporary film course you
would naturally be engaging both form and content. It's obvious that film and
literature are different mediums of communication.  However, in both cases the
form impacts on the content and vice versa.
Are you suggesting that we study the mechanics of a film without also addressing
their ideological implications?  If so why?

BTW. Mike Frank wrote,
"is it important to be "up to date," especially when -- in academe as in other
>fields -- there is so much fashionable posturing, and things that are hot today
>may well seem silly tomorrow? . . . "

First I wonder how many widely accepted theories we use/teach today were once
thought of as simple "posturing" at the time they were introduced.  Secondly, in
academia it is important to investigate the reasons why certain theories
("posturing") are popular when they are.

Angela Keenlyside