SCREEN-L Archives

July 1997, Week 4

From:
Alan Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jul 1997 20:14:26 -0700
Krin Gabbard <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>instead of watching film scholars weigh in with defenses of the
>intellectual revolutions born in the`60s,I have been reading naive
>questions about what happened in Paris in the 1960s.  I'm hoping
>that most of these questions were ironic.

Apparently I have contributed to Dr. Gabbard's sense of despair by being
one of the first to ask -- naively and UNironically, I might add -- about
the relationship of criticism to "May, 1968."

Some of the responses have been helpful, others less so. That's the nature
of newsgroups and newsletters. Perhaps Dr.Gabbard would care to raise the
level of discussion a bit by "weigh[ing] in with defenses of the
intellectual revolutions born in the`60s" himself, rather than merely
despairing of their absence.

He asks plaintively, "What's happened to Screen-L?"

Nothing that an occasional contribution from someone with something
stimulating to say wouldn't cure. I await Dr. Gabbard's submission and look
forward to the stimulating and spirited discussion that follows. No irony
intended.

        A L A N  B E L L
Santa Rosa, CA  [log in to unmask]