SCREEN-L Archives

July 1997, Week 4

From:
gloria monti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jul 1997 09:44:20 +0100
         Krin Gabbard asks:
        What's happened to Screen-L?

        Katie Hawks replies:
        I think your mistake is to assume that this list is made up only of
film scholars.

        So, this becomes *Krin's* mistake.  Interesting.  It was also *my*
mistake, when I first subscribed to the list--in 1993.  I don't think the
mistake is ours, BTW.  I think that rather than
accomodating the needs of those "non-academically trained individual with
an interest in film" (in the words of Katie Hawks) who feel alienated by
theoryspeak, they should be redirected to another kind of film discussions,
such as Cinema-L.

CINEMA-L, a  lively list also  devoted to film, provides  an entertaining
forum for  folks wanting to  chat more  informally about the  movies.  Its
address is [log in to unmask]

        This might also be an answer to Deborah Smith's query.

>So while the questions about the history of theory may seem "naive"
>to you; it's evidence of one of the most significant failings in the
>humanities -- that we've done a very poor job of translating our
>technologies (technologies of thought, or perception, or language)
>oustide of our relatively narrowly defined disciplines. It's no
>wonder that no one wants to fund us :)

        Are you invoking some kind of popularizing strategy?  Leave that to
Siskel&Ebert. :-)

        Gloria Monti

gloria monti
american studies, yale university
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
http://pantheon.cis.yale.edu/~godard/index.html

"he was blessed with the happiness and the nonchalant courage that come of
living according to one's principles."

                                         james traub, about william kunstler