SCREEN-L Archives

July 1997, Week 4

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jul 1997 08:51:47 -0600
Krin Gabbard laments:
"I have been reading naive questions about what happened in Paris in the
1960s.  I'm hoping that most of these questions were ironic.  If not, then
there really is cause for despair.  What's happened to Screen-L?"

Well, it *is* summer, so most of the old-timers are probably elsewhere, and
there is a whole generation or two out there whose intellectual and cognitive
(not to mention experiential) links to that past are increasingly tenuous.

I find students now who even lack a clear sense of what the Cold War involved!
Even for more knowledgable students, the events of the '60s have the same
chronological relation to their generation that the events of the 1930s
had for my (our?) generation.  That's what history classes should be for--
but usually are not.

Don Larsson, Mankato State U (MN)

http://www.sa.ua.edu/screensite