SCREEN-L Archives

June 1997, Week 4

From:
Eugene Walz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 1997 10:08:30 -0600
>>   you could argue that, for instance, because the camera
>>   is pointed at Henry Hill several times in GOODFELLAS, we
>>   are not seeing the action through his eyes . . .

As my hurried and meagre contribution to this debate, let me simply point
out that Francois Truffaut believed that the true subjective camera was
provided by a close-up, not a point-of-view shot. He is also the filmmaker
who used voice-over more often and more resourcefully than any other major
filmmaker, and, of course, he is the filmmaker who made "cinema in the
first person singular."

Gene Walz
University of Manitoba

http://www.sa.ua.edu/screensite