SCREEN-L Archives

May 1997, Week 3

From:
Patrick Bjork <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 May 1997 20:09:22 -0500
Thursday May 15th marks our First Anniversary of WEBGEIST. Thanks to all
this past year's contributors and readers for supporting us!

>        http://www.bsc.nodak.edu/English/webgeist/webgeist.htm
>
>To help us celebrate, we invite you to submit your fiction, poetry, or
essays on any topic and, if we like it, we'll publish it! Please see the
Guide for Authors below, which lists the several categories of writings we
would like to publish. Either query or send complete manuscripts to:

>Patrick Bjork: [log in to unmask]
>                OR
>Richard Cummins: [log in to unmask]
>                            GUIDE FOR AUTHORS
>
>Webgeist is published quarterly on the Wide World Web at
>http://www.bsc.nodak.edu/English/webgeist/webgeist.htm. Intended as an
electronic magazine for academics and intellectuals who are weary of
theoretical mumbo-jumbo, Webgeist seeks to provides fresh perspectives on
topical matters in
> [...]
>Reviews, Film and Video Reviews, News and Commentary, Letters to the
>Editors, Poetry, and Forum (the topic of that particular issue), which
>may include the following: longer thought pieces, jokes, top ten
>lists, short zingers.
>
>Articles: Articles may be evaluative, explanatory, or
>argumentative, but will be well-focused discussions of
>topical interest to readers. Articles can be on any subject. We
>are particularly interested in articles that bring a fresh perspective
>to old stuff or that introduce new material.
>
>Even on the Web, space is a consideration because many accepted
>articles will be awaiting publication, and many excellent articles
>will not be published. Be concise. Articles are typically 500-2000
>words (about two to eight double-spaced typewritten pages). Articles
>should be organized around one central point or theme.
>
>Articles should be preceded by a ten- to twenty-word summary of the
>central point, which will in most cases be included with the article.
>Since we don't have much in the way of graphics or layout, the
>abstract will be a reader's aid. Also include your name, address,
>affiliation, telephone numbers, and email address. Unless otherwise
>requested, the author's email address will be included with the
>article. Please include a brief, one- or two-sentence biographical
>note. If you do not wish to have your email address included, please
>state so.
>
>Book, CD, and Video Reviews: Most reviews are about 500-1500
>words. Both solicited and unsolicited reviews are used.
>Include the publication data at the top of the article (Title, author,
>publisher, city, year, number of pages, hardcover or paper or both,
>price, OR Title, artist, label, year, number of cuts, price, OR Title,
>director, cast, studio or production company, year, running time,
>format, price). Include a small JPG scan (20-30K) of the book jacket,
>cover, or poster, for illustration, if possible.
>
>News and Comment: News articles from 250-1000 words are
>welcome. They should involve timely events. Be balanced
>and fair when appropriate, but satire and humor are always welcomed.
>
>Poetry & Fiction: Each issue will include a few poems and a
>couple of stories. No particular style is encouraged, though
>doggerel and polemics are discouraged.
>
>Letters to the Editors: This section is reserved for issues
>that arose in preceding issues. Letters should not be more
>than 200 words. Representative letters will be published, and where it
>is relevant, authors whose views or writing has been criticized will
>be asked to respond.
>
>Mechanical requirements for manuscripts: all mss. should be in email
>format. For reference citations in text, please use author-date style
>(Schmoe 1995) or Schmoe (1995). Alphabetize entries in a References
>section. Give full names of journals. If explanatory notes are
>required, please number them and include them in a Notes section

Patrick Bjork, Ph.D.
ECOMP-L Listowner
Associate Professor of English
Bismarck State College
http://www.bsc.nodak.edu/English/fallsp.htm
http://www.bsc.nodak.edu/English/webgeist/webgeist.htm

"Nothing of him that doth fade but doth suffer a sea change into something
rich and strange."--Shakespeare's _The Tempest_

http://www.sa.ua.edu/screensite