SCREEN-L Archives

April 1997, Week 4

From:
gloria monti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 1997 14:10:30 +0100
>> Does anyone have suggestions for balancing a class on American
>> auteurism (Welles, Hawks, Hitchcock, Scorsese, Coppola) with
>> some interesting films by women?

>Another contemporary addition might be Clueless, by Amy Heckerling.  The
>'light fare' knock to the film aside, I find Heckerling's ear for
>teen-age vernacular quite remarkable, both in Clueless and Fast Times at
>Ridgemont High.  All the more remarkable since these two films deal w/ 2
>different generations of teenagers, yet pegs the characters so well.

        To balance the contemporary, how about a Dorothy Arzner film, such
as *Dance, Girl, Dance?* (1940).  Are you looking also at independent
American film?  *Illusions* (1981), by Julie Dash would work nicely as a
rereading of Hollywood in the Forties, addressing  racial issues.

        Gloria Monti

gloria monti
american studies, yale university
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
http://pantheon.cis.yale.edu/~godard/index.html

"he was blessed with the happiness and the nonchalant courage that come of
living according to one's principles."

                                         james traub, about william kunstler