SCREEN-L Archives

April 1997, Week 4

From:
Dennis Rothermel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Apr 1997 12:42:19 U
Julie,

I haven't tried any of the films you mention, but I have had great success
with Jane Campion's _The Piano_.

Dennis
To: [log in to unmask]
From: Film and TV Studies Discussion List on Mon, Apr 21, 1997 11:21 AM
Subject: auteurism and women

Dear Screen-l members:

I'm new to the list, so I hope my question doesn't cover old ground.
Does anyone have suggestions for balancing a class on American
auteurism (Welles, Hawks, Hitchcock, Scorsese, Coppola) with
some interesting films by women?  The course will offer a feminist
critique of conventional auteurism, try to address a variety of
genres, and focus in particular on issues of performance, the process
of becoming a public image, and the theme of women as objects of
vision.   I'm thinking about adding to the list--a conventional list
of films by the male directors listed above--several of the
following:  Ida Lupino's _The Hitch Hiker_, Dorothy Arzner's _Dance, Girl,
Dance_, Elaine May's _The Heartbreak Kid_, Lizzie Borden's _Working Girls_,
and
Kathryn Bigelow's _Strange Days_.  Have you had success teaching any
of these films in particular?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and advice.

Julie Grossman
Le Moyne College

http://www.sa.ua.edu/screensite