SCREEN-L Archives

April 1997, Week 4

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Apr 1997 23:19:52 -0500
Recently an announcement went out over Screen-L about a supposed virus
known as AOL4FREE, which is a virus hoax.  Normally we do not post virus
warnings on Screen-L because so many of them are hoaxes.  This one slipped
through by mistake.

I'm posting this follow-up message, though, because AOL4FREE is a hoax that
has sort of become a reality.  Sort of.

Let me stress that it is IMPOSSIBLE to catch a virus just by reading a
plain ol' text e-mail message.

HOWEVER, it is possible to become infected by opening a file that is
ATTACHED to a plain ol' text e-mail message.  A file attachment is separate
from the message itself and may contain, say, a MS Word document or even
computer software.  If you open an infected document or run infected
software, then your computer will become sick.

Please check the documentation of your e-mail program for further
information on file ATTACHMENTS.

Now, what happened in the AOL4FREE case, as documented by the U.S.
Department of Energy's Computer Incident Advisory Capability (
http://ciac.llnl.gov/ ) group is a hoax that said reading a message with
the subject related to AOL4FREE would destroy your harddisk.  This was and
is completely untrue.

Then, someone decided to create a simple little program--what's known as a
Trojan horse (looks like one thing, but is really another)--that could be
distributed as an e-mail FILE ATTACHMENT and would indeed delete all the
files on your PC (though not on Macs).

To repeat:  This is a FILE that is ATTACHED to a message and not the
message text itself.  Nothing you read on Screen-L, for example, can give
you a virus or destroy files on your computer.

So, to protect yourself:

NEVER EVER open a FILE ATTACHMENT from someone you do not know.

And be mighty suspicious of FILE ATTACHMENTS from persons you do know.

If you want all the details, please hop over to:

http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/bulletins/h-47a.shtml

where an "AOL4FREE Trojan Horse" bulletin was posted one week ago.

Please e-mail me directly (and not Screen-L) if you have any questions.

Regards,

----
Jeremy Butler
ScreenSite http://www.sa.ua.edu/ScreenSite
Telecommunication & Film/University of Alabama/Tuscaloosa

http://www.sa.ua.edu/screensite