SCREEN-L Archives

April 1997, Week 4

From:
Blake Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 1997 10:41:49 -0600

> Does anyone have suggestions for balancing a class on American
> auteurism (Welles, Hawks, Hitchcock, Scorsese, Coppola) with
> some interesting films by women?

First off, IMHO, Woody Allen would need to be included on this list. His
films would further advance the feminism aspect to your course b/c so
many of his films deal either with a feminine perspective (Another Woman,
Interiors, even to some extend Hannah and Her Sisters, The Purple Rose
of Cairo) or explore the male perspective of women (esp'ly Stardust
Memories, Manhattan, Play it Again, Sam, and Annie Hall).

Another contemporary addition might be Clueless, by Amy Heckerling. The
'light fare' knock to the film aside, I find Heckerling's ear for
teen-age vernacular quite remarkable, both in Clueless and Fast Times at
Ridgemont High. All the more remarkable since these two films deal w/ 2
different generations of teenagers, yet pegs the characters so well.