SCREEN-L Archives

March 1997, Week 4

From:
Michael Sime <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Mar 1997 11:05:29 -0500
>>I know you are new to college, but asking a bunch of people for answers
>>online is not "research."  You should hit the library and find texts that
>
>I'd like to mildly disagree, or partially disagree perhaps.  One possible
>response to this assignment is to conduct an interview with a person or two
>in the field.  But the way to do that is not to send out a vague query to a
>list, but rather to ask if any professional in the field would be willing
>to be interviewed, online or otherwise, for a project on careers in the
>field.

jeez, the way you people have responded, this poor girl will never ask
another question again!

What if the ONLY people she knows "in the field" are those on this list?
(not too far-fetched if she's a Soph) And most of you on this list are
acedemic types, and not (no offense, don't you hate when people say
that?) "in the field" per se.

I knew she was asking VERY broad questions, ones with no specific answers
until they are narowed down. BUT, I responded to her anyway, as well as I
could, and offered to give more answers to more specific questions. Who
knows if she'll use it, who cares? And you know what? The time it took me
to respond was less than it took me to read the posts from you acedemic
types berating her for having the chutzpah to ask in the first place.

Remember, this is as important in the real world as in a university: If
you don't ask, you'll never know. There is NO SUCH THING as a 'stupid'
question. CAVEAT: The only stupid questions are thoe ones not asked.

Mike Sime

Michael Sime         <[log in to unmask]>
Video Schmideo!      <[log in to unmask]>
    <http://www.intac.com/~frelancr>
It's not the time it takes to take the takes,
it's the time it takes BETWEEN the takes,
that takes the time to take the takes.

http://www.sa.ua.edu/screensite