SCREEN-L Archives

March 1997, Week 3

From:
Paul Stone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 1997 01:53:27 -0500
Gene Walz says:

>For all those Screen-L people coming to the Society for Cinema Studies
>conference in Ottawa this May, the above quote will provide an introduction
>to an amusing variety of Canadian. You may have seen his brothers Bob and
>Doug on SCTV. Having read more than one book, he is confident enough to
>disparage not only a national literature but his own nation. Come on up and
>see for yourself.

        At least I do give Canadian authors a chance. I read. I buy the
books and read them, and see the movies; and they still suck. But I'm
eternally optimistic and I love it when Canadians do a good job. I'm not
speaking without experience.
        I'm sorry, I just can't stomach most of the latest books about
backwoods, ma and pa, bloody boring hickicity that makes up a great deal of
this great nation of ours. Just because most of our authors are bad (in my
opinion), doesn't make me hate the land or the people in it. All I am saying
is that the art is generally bad and not to my liking.
        And I'm certainly not a hosehead -- that is precisely what I rebel
against everyday. I love Canada, but not blindly and not just because it's
where I live. I am not obliged to love by association. Have you ever read
King Lear?

        Alls I'm sayink is that, like, eh, I'm not very impressed with, like
this book eh!! SO... Take Off.

Paul Stone