SCREEN-L Archives

March 1997, Week 2

From:
Blaine Allan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 1997 10:53:08 EST

On Sun, 9 Mar 1997 05:15:04 -0500 Pip Chodorov said:
>Wally Veevers - and not Wally Gentleman - is one of four credited 2001
>special photographic effects supervisors.

Stanley Jackson wrote the commentary for Universe, but Douglas Rain
(uncredited) reads it.  (I just watched a piece of the film, and the
voice is unmistakeably Rain's, not Jackson's.  D.B. Jones writes about
Universe and Rain's recording of the commentary in his unfortunately
titled biography of Film Board producer Tom Daly, The Best Butler in
the Business.)

Wally Gentleman reported that he was invited to work as "Director of
Special Effects" on 2001, and did so until about 10 weeks into
production, when illness forced him to withdraw.  The interview
with Gentleman, titled "Inside 2001," is published in Take One 1.11
(May-June 1968): 18-22.

Gentleman's name doesn't appear on the film, but compared to today's
credits, the end titles on 2001 are positively minimal when it comes
to attributing the division of labour.

Blaine Allan                           [log in to unmask]
Film Studies
Queen's University
Kingston, Ontario
Canada  K7L 3N6