SCREEN-L Archives

March 1997, Week 1

Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 1997 09:45:35 -0400
Ray Jeffers
03/06/97 09:45 AM

     Although I have never seen this film, I have read of a documentary
made by John Huston about American soldiers fighting in Italy during World
War II.  It showed how a certain percentage of soldiers became "shell
shocked", what we call today post traumatic stress disorder.  Evidently,
the military did not like it because they wanted everyone to think that men
either died nice and neat in battle, or returned home no worse for wear.
Of course, a lot of soldiers were permanently scarred by their experience,
despite never having been physically wounded.

     I hope someone else on this list can aid my rapidly fading memory and
shed more light on this film.