SCREEN-L Archives

March 1997, Week 1

From:
Victor Gan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Mar 1997 10:29:55 +0800
I'm a novice to the study of film and would like some recommendations as to
the films that are going to be screened at the SIFF. The Website with
synopses and information about the films to be screened is :
http://www.filmfest.org.sg
This is the only chance to see a good range of films in Singapore each
year, and some input would be helpful. Briefly, much Asian cinema is shown
and this year, there are retrospectives of Truffaut and Ritwik Ghatak.

I would also appreciate pointers to reading material relevant to any of
these films and film in general -- I have taken note of  suggestions under
the "basic bibliography" heading discussed previously.

I have read James Monaco's "How to Read a Film" and am on Bordwell and
Thompson's "Film Art: An Introduction". Any comments, or things to look out
for/avoid, in these books would be welcome too.

Thanks!