SCREEN-L Archives

February 1997, Week 4

From:
Dawn Marie Lowry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 1997 03:11:22 -0600
British comedies also seem to derive a great deal of humor from class type
situations.  Monty Python, Faulty Towers, Mr. Bean, Keeping Up
Appearances, and even Are you being served all utilized class stereotypes
as the basis of characters and or comedic situations.  I also think there
is a great deal more irreverance in British comedies.  Many of the sex,
gender, and national taboos that you find in conventional American
primetime are fair game for the writers and cast of Ab Fab and the rest.
Finally, Americans are hung up on the happy ending.  Problems are resolved
in 22 minutes in most cases, whereas I can think of many  examples in
British comedy where the show ends without the main character learns the
valuable moral lesson for the day.

Just some observations,
dml