SCREEN-L Archives

February 1997, Week 1

From:
"Brian P. Taves" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Feb 1997 18:18:40 -0500
        On behalf of the Society for Cinema Studies, I am pleased to
announce a project that will be of interest to list subscribers.  *Cinema
Journal*, the scholarly quarterly published by SCS, is adding a regular
column to present archival news of interest to academics.  (This column
will join two other regular features of *Cinema Journal*, information on
various professional activities such as conferences, and a listing of new
books in the field, together with articles published in non-film
journals.)
        New collections, acquisitions, restorations, and film festivals,
would all be potential topics.  In addition to actual film and video
holdings, written documentation, such as the papers of corporations and
individuals, is of equal interest.
        The goal is to publicize the activities of archives within a
framework indicating their possible use in academic endeavors.  In this
way, scholars may gain a greater ongoing familiarity with the resources
held by archives, and the types of materials available to assist them in
their research and writing.
        The emphasis in the column will be on information covering new
acquisitions made during the last few years, since basic surveys of the
core collections of certain archives already exist.  However, details on
old collections made accessible for the first time will also be welcome.
        I will be editing this column (which is unrelated to my position
at the Library of Congress), and looking for information from all archives
who regard academics as one of their clients.  Of course such an endeavor
is dependent on the information I hope many archives will be willing to
share on behalf of *Cinema Journal*.
        I hope to hear from you in this fresh effort to win added
recognition for the work of moving image archivists, and to bring the
worlds of archives and academia closer together. For more information,
contact:

Brian Taves
110 D Street, S.E. #515
Washington, D.C.  20003-1815