SCREEN-L Archives

January 1997, Week 5

From:
Sam Berger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jan 1997 18:10:04 +0200
>I just received a request from an actor-friend who is teaching acting for
>film in Costa Rica.  The Universidad de Costa Rica also wants him to teach a
>class in directing.  Does anyone have suggestions for books and other
>resources discussing the theory, methodologies, and technical aspects of
>directing?

Although it is not strictly to with film or TV writing I would stronglt
sugest any books by the 70s theatre director Eugenio Barba. His methods and
lines of thought are extremly useful. I have used his ideas in creating a
short video last year for a project.

In particular try these:

Barba, Eugenio - The FLoating Islands (Denmark,[publisher unknown], 1979)
     It's an old copy, probably get newer ones. This is the best if you wish to
     see if you like him.

Barba, Eugenio - The Paper Canoe (New York, Routledge, 1995)

Christofferson, Erik Exe - The Actor's Way (New York, Routledge, 1993)
     May be useful from the actor's point of view.

Hope I can help,

Yours,

Sam Berger
Dartington College of Arts