SCREEN-L Archives

January 1997, Week 5

From:
Evan Cameron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jan 1997 10:07:17 -0500
The following announcement of a tenure-track position in film and video
studies at York University may be of interest to the list.

           TENURE-TRACK APPOINTMENT
          DEPARTMENT OF FILM & VIDEO
                YORK UNIVERSITY

The Department of Film & Video, York University, invites applica-
tions for a fulltime tenure-track position at the level of assistant
professor in Historical, Critical and Theoretical Studies, effective
1 July 1997 (subject to budgetary approval by the University).

For thirty years we have offered an undergraduate concentration
in historical, critical and theoretical studies; with the advent of
the Graduate Programme twenty years ago, we opened a mas-
ters-level concentration as well. We now offer within the depart-
ment both B.A. and M.A. degrees in film studies, and members
of our faculty are cross-appointed to other graduate programmes
within the university offering cross-disciplinary doctoral study in
film (Philosophy; Political Science; Social & Political Thought).

Among our faculty are internationally-recognised scholars in
Canadian film, Russian and Soviet film history and theory, classi-
cal film theory, political and social film analysis, and film and
philosophy. We are seeking a scholar and teacher sharing our
commitment to the historical and theoretical understanding of
film and video who will bring additional strength to several of the
above specialities while anchoring the expansion of our pro-
gramme into several of the following areas as well: documentary
film and video; Canadian television and the new media technol-
ogies; women, film and media; alternative film and video; Que-
becois film and television; postmodernism, film and television;
and Latin-American/Third-world cinema.

Responsibilities of the position will include the teaching of a full-
range of appropriate undergraduate and graduate courses, super-
vising graduate thesis work, serving on department, faculty or
university committees, student advising and curriculum assess-
ment.

An applicant for the position must have a doctorate in film
studies or a related discipline, demonstrable achievement as a
scholar and a distinguished record of teaching and supervision
on both the undergraduate and graduate level. We would wel-
come as well a working knowledge of both of Canada's official
languages, the ability to contribute to the teaching of courses in
screenwriting or production, professional experience in film or
video production and the ability to support through cross-
appointment one or another of the extra-departmental doctoral
programmes noted above.

Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
The deadline for receipt of applications is 31 March 1997.

A letter of application, a curriculum vitae and three letters of
reference should be sent to:

                     Dr. Evan Wm. Cameron, Interim Chair
                     Department of Film & Video
                     CFT 222: York University
                     4700 Keele Street
                     North York, Ontario M3J 1P3

York University is implementing a policy of employment equity,
including affirmative action for women faculty. In accordance
with Canadian immigration requirements, this advertisement is
directed to Canadian citizens and permanent residents.

Evan William Cameron Telephone: 416-736-5149
York University - CFT 216 (Film) Fax: 416-736-5710
4700 Keele Street E-mail: [log in to unmask]
North York, Ontario
Canada M3J 1P3