SCREEN-L Archives

November 1996, Week 1

From:
Alvaro Ramirez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Nov 1996 11:31:22 +0100
>And I agree with Barbara Bernstein that it is easy to lie verbally.  To
>"lie" behaviorally is far more complicated, as so many of our body language
>communiques are unconscious.  Hence, when behavioral and verbal information
>conflict, behavior (what we see) is a more reliable indicator of the truth.
>IMHO.
>
>Cheers,
>>Emily Davies

Continuing and agreeing totally with Emily Davies, I would like to add that
the dilemma we are presented when the narrator tells us something that
collides with the images, is used a lot in comedies or to provoke laughs.
Since we have learned that actions and not promises or sayings tell better,
by seeing images of behaviour, and hearing the contrary  we have a tendency
to adopt a superior position in regards to the storyteller (voice over) and
take therefore ironic distance ( dramatic irony) from what we are told.

It has to do too with the way we daily lie to ourselves in our desires to
behave different.

On the other hand and without having elaborated too much on the matter it is
a common practice in the working process between actors and directors in the
Stanislavsky system to look for the sub text or hidden meaning behind
dialogue lines.
We all know there are probably a thousand ways to say  "I love you"  and one
of them could be said by a good actor/actress (body language will be
important here) implying "what I really mean is that I hate you". Again the
images, the actor's/actress' tone, facial expression and a lot more will
tell us a lot more than the simple line.