SCREEN-L Archives

November 1996, Week 1

From:
Philippe Mather <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Nov 1996 14:51:46 -0600
At 01:54 PM 10/31/96 -0400, Mike Frank wrote:

>my question: why do we privilege the video over the audio so automatically,
>or intuitively [not to say "naturally"] that most of us--like peter--can
>simply take it as a given requiring no further comment that when the video
>and audio clash, the video is telling the truth??

        I wonder if the clash isn't between sound and image but between
"logocentrism" and other modes of communicating information. Take this
anecdote from Stanley Kubrick concerning his film _2001_:

        "A number of people thought Floyd went to the planet Clavius. Why
they think there's a planet Clavius I'll never know. But they hear him
asked: 'Where are you going?', and he says, 'I'm going to Clavius'. With
many people - boom - that one word registers in their heads and they don't
look at fifteen shots of the Moon; they don't see he's going to the moon."

        The idea is that language (dialogue *or* titles, contained within
the sound or the image track) is arguably a more explicit mode of
transmitting information than more broadly iconic or acoustic elements of film.

Philippe Mather

O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O
he End               |  |             The End              |  |             T
ather Productions    |  |  (c) 1996 P.Mather Productions   |  |  (c) 1996 P.M
oy.cc.uregina.ca     |  |   [log in to unmask]    |  |   matherp@ler
O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O