SCREEN-L Archives

October 1996, Week 4

From:
HR Greenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Oct 1996 12:25:12 -0400
partial answer to second question

PSYCHO's perversity was much more "cleverly" cloaked in its genre disguise,
although even at the time many thought excessive/transgressive and Hitch came
in for some criticism. His avuncular "I'm just your friendly bogeyman meaning
no real harm" persona redeemed any possibility of real harm, I think. PEEPING
TOM is much more upfront and detailed about the character's perversity, and
promotes more eery sympathy which makes viewers uncomfortable (same for
Hitch, with more ambivalence).

Powell's career didnt suffer for a while. As I recall, he was essentially
ruined in terms of major projects thereafter.

HRGREENBERG MD ENDIT

"He has many knives, and none of them are sharp..."