SCREEN-L Archives

October 1996, Week 3

From:
Steven Cohan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Oct 1996 17:48:11 -0700
liz weis wrote:

> Orson Welles was particularly fond of the parable of the scorpion and
> the frog (or was it a turtle).  The pay-off was always the scorpion saying
> "that is my nature" as he killed his rider across the water.  It's in
> several of his movies.  It's near the start of his "The Trial," and
> repeated more as part of the "plot" later near the end.

For that matter, it is "The Crying Game," too (or has someone already
noted that).

It also occurs to me that musicals have metadiegetic stories when songs
are ballads.  For instance, "The Sobbin Women" in "Seven Brides," the
various tales in "Hans Christian Andersen," "The Ballad of Jennie" in
"Lady in the Dark," and there is "The Worry Song" which begins as a story
and ends as a dance in "Anchors Aweigh," to name some off the top of my
head.

Steve Cohan