SCREEN-L Archives

September 1996, Week 2

From:
Dandrade Kendall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Sep 1996 10:38:00 EST
                     FILM AND PHILOSOPHY  is 3 years old.

         The SPSCVA (the Society for the Philosophic Study of the Contemporary
Visual Arts) is pleased to announce the 3rd issue of its journal -- FILM AND
PHILOSOPHY.  It's also our largest ever! (which only means that it's larger
than its two predecessors).  Here is the Table of Contents:

                     F I L M   A N D   P H I L O S O P H Y
                              Volume III    1996

Monstrous Equivocation                                                   3
      by Mark Vorobej
Horror and the Problem of Personal Identity: Dead Ringers               14
      by Daniel Shaw
Fascinating Knowledge                                                   24
      by Cimberli Kearns
Hitchcock and Deductive Reasoning: Moving Step by Step in Vertigo       38
      by Dan Flory
Fresh Phronesis                                                         53
      by Joseph Kupfer
John Ford's The Searchers as an Allegory of the Philosophical Search    61
      by Richard Gilmore
Documentary Images and Shared Encounters                                77
      by David Brubaker
Narrative Manipulation and Documentary Truth: Putting the Move on       87
Audiences in Hoop Dreams
      by John Arthos
Crumb: Whereof One Should Not Speak                                     95
      by Harvey Roy Greenberg
Hara-Kiri and the Aftermath of Peace in 17th Century Japan              99
      by Paul Belbutowski
Projecting the Real: Torantore's Cinema Paradiso, Plato and            107
Psychoanalysis
      by Erich D. Freiberger
12 Monkeys: The Rags of Time                                           123
      by Harvey Roy Greenberg
In the Twinkling of an Eye: Nietzschean Undercurrents in Terry         130
Gilliam's 12 Monkeys
      by Sean Cridland
From Night to Day: Nihilism and the Walking Dead                       138
      by John A. Marmysz
Hans-Jrgen Syberg's Opera Film, Parsifal: Visual Transformation       145
and Philosophical Reconstruction
      by Norman Fischer
The Failure of Imagination in Thelma and Louise: The Crisis of         154
Identity in the Pursuit of the Ideal
      by Elizabeth Jones
". . . We Don't Live in that Kind of World, Thelma"                    161
      by Leilani Nevarez Luce
Changing Perspectives of Motherhood: Images from the Aliens Trilogy    167
      by Valerie Gray Hardcastle
The Crying Game and the Destabilization of Masculinity                 176
      by Richard Gull

This year's cover is by Melina Lima

You can own one of these.  Send $10 to
Fred Seddon
     Treasurer: SPSCVA,  23 Mt. Oliver Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15210, USA

You will also automatically become a member of the SPSCVA and receive
their other publication, the _SPSCVA Review_.

For those with high currency conversion costs, we accept Visa and
MasterCard.  E-mail me with you card info, and name and address.

Kendall D'Andrade       [log in to unmask]