SCREEN-L Archives

September 1996, Week 2

From:
Chris Worsnop <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Sep 1996 16:53:56 -0400
>On Tue, 3 Sep 1996 14:54:17 -0500 Matt McAllister said:
>
>>So my question is: does anyone know of examples of advertising criticism
>>that interpreted TV ads in the context of the program that surrounded the
>>ads?  Where the critic did not separate the two discourses, but rather saw
>>them as part of the same meaning system in his/her analysis?

My five cents' worth is not really about the criticism question: on the day
of the final game in the 1993 world series, Coca Cola had prepared a 2
minute ad to show on the famous Jumbotron at Toronto's SkyDome in the event
of a win by the Blue Jays (If only they were still playing like that!) Come
the win, the ad blasted out over the huge screen and also on the telecast.
This ad was not used again. Is this the kind of contextual relationship you
are thinking of?

I am sure the same thing goes on in every local market whenever there is a
big sporting event. People who watch football tell me about some mythical
event that takes place close to the New Year, in which there are often
purpose made commercials, but then, I wouldn't know about that.( :-} )

Chris M. Worsnop
Consultant, speaker, workshop leader
Assessment, writing, media education

2400 Dundas Street West
Unit 6, Suite 107
Mississauga
Ontario, Canada
L5K 2R8

Email:  <[log in to unmask]>
Phone:  (905) 823-0875

"We must learn how to control language or we shall all end up its slaves."