SCREEN-L Archives

September 1996, Week 2

From:
Peggi Weaver <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 7 Sep 1996 18:52:55 -0400
I can t tell how it was received in the US but in Chile The Double Life
is repeatedly shown in repertory houses.  It s been a while since I ve
seen it and it s about to come out again for another round and I m
looking forward to seeing it again.  I m not sure what ending we have
here.  The TRICOLOR group has been repeated as well here much more often
than DECALOGUE of which only A Short Story About Love and A Short Story
About Killing has been available in either theatres or video.

A friend I adore recently came back from NY bearing Kieslowski on
Kieslowski as a gift.  I had unfortunately missed the video when it was
shown here, but because Chile seem to be receptive to Kieslowski I don t
think I ll have to wait long before it s back.
Interesting reading the filmography in the back it becomes apparent that
a major part of his work is documentary.  The subject of these works
tend to be more of a daily life activity rather than of a <great person>
or event.  In this respect wasn t then Kieslowski appropriating a
feminine literary style of <The Diary> by creating film journals?

Peggi Weaver
Santiago

-One only understands the things that one tames- said the fox -. Men
have no more time to understand anything.  They buy things all ready
made at the shops.  But there is no shop where one can but friendship,
so that men have no friends any more. If you want a friend, tame
me...                                   The Little Prince.