SCREEN-L Archives

September 1996, Week 1

From:
Barbara Bernstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Sep 1996 11:10:30 -0700
Can you help me find movies in which a still photograph "comes into focus"
before our eyes? I'm thinking of scenes where something initially
indecipherable gradually reveals additional visual information through being
blown up, computer-enhanced, put through filters, etc. Examples are:
Blow-Up, Call Northside 777, and Patriot Games. Even a photo being swished
around in developing fluid, the image gradually emerging as we watch, would
qualify.

I don't mean that the cinematic image itself comes into focus, but that the
"development process" has been filmed.

I'm also interested in the aural equivalent, as in The Conversation and
Blow-Out. Or cases where a painting is x-rayed or manually "stripped" in
some way to reveal a hidden image underneath (as in A Question of Attribution).

Appreciate your help.

Barbara Bernstein

Barbara Bernstein San Francisco, CA
[log in to unmask] http://www.kinexis.com